Anti Ragging Team
Ragging is strictly banned in our college. If anybody found indulged in such kind of activities, strict action will be taken irrespective of the extent. Ragging is banned by Supreme Court of India. In order to prevent such kind of activity in campus, am anti-ragging committees has been formed and brought into operation even before the start of 1st year classes by the Principal.
Do not be a victim or witness!!
Ragging is neither a means of familiarization, nor an introduction with fresher's, but a form of Psychopathic behavior. Ragging is a violation of Human Rights. Respect Humanitarian Values. Ragging is a heinous crime, heavily punishable under law. Ragging may spoil your career forever.
"Causing, inducing, compelling or forcing a student, whether by way of practical joke or otherwise, to do any act which detracts from human dignity or violates his/her person or exposes him/her to ridicule from doing any lawful act. By intimidating, wrongfully restraining, wrongfully confining, or injuring him or by using criminal force on him/her or by holding out to him/her any threat of intimidation, wrongful confinement, injury or the use of criminal force.".
What constitutes Ragging:
Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts
- any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student ;
- any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Actions Suggested by AICTE against students indulging and abetting in Ragging:
1.The punishment to be meted out to the persons indulged in ragging has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents. The students who are found to be indulged in ragging should be debarred from taking admission in any technical institution in India.
2. Every single incident of ragging a First Information Report (FIR) must be filed without exception by the institutional authorities with the local police authorities.
3. Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following.
i. Cancellation of admission
ii. Suspension from attending classes
iii. Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
iv. Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
v. Withholding results
vi. Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
vii. Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
viii. Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters
ix. Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
x. Fine of Rupees 25,000/-
xi. Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
4. The institutional authority shall intimate the incidents of ragging occurred in their premises along with actions taken to the Council immediately after occurrence of such incident and inform the status of the case from time to time.
5. Courts should make an effort to ensure that cases involving ragging are taken up on priority basis to send the correct message that ragging is not only to be discouraged but also to be dealt with sternness.
Say No to Ragging!!
ANTI RAGGING COMMITEE
|2||Sr. Avila Therese, Asso.Prof./S&H/HOD||9787931265|
|5||Dr.A.John Peter, Prof./S&H||9442390739|
|7||Mr.K.Shanmuga Ilango , Asso.Prof./MECH||9944994189|
|8||Mr.K. Saravanan, Asso.Prof./MECH||8838419635|