CITIZEN CONSUMER CLUB CLUB
The Citizen Consumer Club of our college is an affiliated club to the Department of Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Government of Tamil Nadu, which was established at the beginning of the academic year 2009-2010. The club has evolved its own objectives in aligning to achieve the common goal of the Department of Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Government of Tamil Nadu.
The Objectives and the Mission of the Government of Tamil Nadu :-
1. To educate children about rights of the consumers as provided in Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
2. To mobilize youngsters by instilling in them the spirit of protection of consumer rights
3. To impart knowledge about the role of consumers in protection of their rights, and
4. To strengthen the consumer movement in India. The mission of Government of Tamil Nadu is to empower all consumer segments of the State to obtain a just deal in the purchase of goods and services in the State of Tamil Nadu and to uphold consumer rights. .
The Objectives of the club :-
The primary objectives of the Citizen Consumer Club are to collaborate, cooperate, actively participate and function in accordance with the Department of Civil Supplies and Consumer Protection, Government of Tamil Nadu. The allied objectives of the Club are;
1. To educate the students about the various provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 .
2. To o reach-out the public, far and near, to educate them regarding their rights and responsibilities as consumers .
3. To join hands with other voluntary consumer organizations to enhance consumer movement .
The Mission of the club :-
In order to achieve the above said objectives the club will initiate organising seminars, conferences, consumer-fest, competitions, publishing articles on consumer issues, etc., and will actively participate in various programmes of the club.
1. National Consumer Day (24th December).
2. World Consumer Rights Day (15th March ).
3 R's of a dutiful consumer :-
1. Reduce: Consume only what you need, if possible reduce consumption of water, electricity, fuel and other non-renewable resources. .
2. Reuse: If a product can serve you for a longer period, use it instead of buying a new one.
3. Recycle: Don't litter the environment, please recycle degradable or recyclable materials through scrap dealers.
Remedies Available to Consumer:-
1. To remove the defect pointed out by the appropriate laboratory from the goods .
2. To replace the goods with the new goods of similar description, which are free from similar defects .
3. To return the price of the charges paid by the complainant .
4. To pay such amount as compensation to the consumer for any loss or injury suffered by the consumer due to the negligence of the opposite party .
5. To remove the defects of deficiencies in the services in question .
6. To discontinue the unfair trade practice or the restrictive trade practice or not to repeat.
7. To withdraw the hazardous goods from being offered for sale .
8. To provide for adequate costs to parties .
Mr.X.MARTIN LOURDU RAJ,
Co-ordinator of Citizen Consumer Club,
St.Anne'S College Of Engg. and Tech.