RED RIBBON CLUB
The RRC aims at harnessing the potential of the youth by equipping them with correct information on HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, Support and Treatment. It also aims to build their capacity as peer educators to spread messages among youth on HIV/AIDS, positive health behaviour, creating enabling environment and increasing awareness on voluntary blood donation. Through the RRCs youth are encouraged to learn about safe and healthy lifestyles. The RRC promotes access to information on safe sexual behaviors and voluntary blood donation as well as enable them to become change agents in HIV/AIDS programme.
1. To reduce new HIV infection among youth by raising their risk perception through awareness on sex, sexuality and HIV/AIDS.
2. To induce among youth the spirit to help and support people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHIVs) thereby reducing stigma and discrimination.
3. To motivate youth and build their capacity as peer educators and change agents by developing their skills on leadership, negotiation, and team building.
4. To promote voluntary blood donation among youth.
KEY AREAS OF RRC:-
1. Vibrancy of Youth: Tap the vibrancy of Youth and channel the energy of the youth in a positive direction.
2. Sex & Sexuality, HIV/AIDS & STI: Provide access to correct information on sexuality, HIV/AIDS, STI and other youth related issues in an enabling environment to promote healthy life styles.
3. Peer Education: Develop a cadre of Peer Educators among youth.
4. Voluntary Blood Donation: Promote voluntary non-remunerated blood donation.
Role of the RRC:-
The RRC in the educational institutions/non academic institutions to target the youth in the age group of 15-29 years, will seek to initiate efforts to:-
1. Educate youth with correct, concise and adequate information about HIV/AIDS and heighten their level of awareness about HIV/AIDS/STI/ sexuality and other related issues (thus eliminate myths and misconceptions).
2. Enable youth, especially the females, to identify and understand situations of exploitation and abuse and how to deal with the situation.
3. Sensitize the youth regarding care and support needs of the people living with HIV & AIDS (PLHIVs) and instill insight in them for helping and supporting PLHIVs and reduce the stigma and discrimination against them.
4. Increase awareness about available health care services related to STI / HIV/ AIDS/ drug abuse.
5. Create linkages between youth and governmental, non-governmental agencies and community based organizations to access safer and responsible healthy behaviour.
6. Facilitate voluntary blood donation camps with the help of District Blood Bank and mobilize the youth for voluntary blood donation.
7. Create a cadre of peer educators among the youth for seeking and encouraging positive health behavior as well as ensuring sustainability of the club.
Coverage of Scheme:-
The RRC scheme targets youths who are in the age group of 15-29 years. The scheme will cover all educational institutions like Universities, Colleges, Polytechnics and non-academic institutions such as art colleges.
Mr.X.MARTIN LOURDU RAJ,
Co-ordinator of Red Ribbon Club,
St.ANNE'S College Of Engg. and Tech.